Canterbury Woods Blog
5 Surprising Health Benefits of Gardening for Active Older Adults
We all know that exercising is good for us, but did you know that gardening is, too? Not only does gardening often force us to get outside and soak up the benefits of sunshine, but it also requires us to get our hands dirty and use muscles that may not always get the exercise they deserve.
Lynda Marino, Marketing Director at Canterbury Woods Williamsville, a Life Care Community in Williamsville, NY, says that gardening is therapeutic for the mind and body. “Bending, digging, planting and tending to the garden is really beneficial for the body,” Lynda states. “While many people don’t often think about it, those who garden know how much it can exercise the body and bring joy to your life. It’s so fulfilling to see the plants you can grow, the vegetables and fruits you can harvest and enjoy, as well as the flowers that you can bring inside your home to spruce it up. It makes any level of labor truly worth it.
How Can Gardening Benefit Older Adults?
The benefits of gardening are endless. According to the AARP®, some of the benefits of gardening for active older adults include:
- Vitamin D exposure – The sun can help to provide seniors with adequate vitamin D levels, increasing calcium levels and improving your bones and immune system. According to the article, this doesn’t mean foregoing sunscreen, because skin protection is important! Don’t forget those sunglasses either!
- Risk of dementia decreases – Gardening has an array of cognitive health benefits for active adults. According to AARP®, it could even lower the risk of dementia by 36 percent. This is likely because of the increase in exercise and physical activity that gardening provides.
- Mood can improve – Who isn’t instantly happier when they go outdoors and feel the warm sun and beautiful flowers? There’s a reason people love spring so much! Gardening, according to the article, helps fight stress, boost your mood and decrease levels of cortisol.
- Aerobic exercise is increased – Some people enjoy exercising and some simply don’t! Gardening easily disguises aerobic exercise and gives it more of a purpose – many don’t even realize they’re breaking a sweat! Whether you are preparing the flower bed, mulching, pulling weeds or picking veggies, gardening can improve your strength, stamina and flexibility.
- Loneliness decreases – Gardening gives a good excuse to get outdoors and socialize! Create a garden with friends, share your vegetables with others throughout the community or share your gardening methods with friends, either way, you’re combatting loneliness, depression and more!
At Canterbury Woods Williamsville, we recognize these important benefits! With our wonderful patio homes, our residents can start their own garden, enjoy the various benefits and even get the assistance and support they need with their garden if they’d like!
Discover them for yourself with a tour. Call today to schedule yours and see how our lifestyle helps our residents bloom and flourish!
Experience the Freedom to Create Your Ideal Retirement Lifestyle
At Canterbury Woods Williamsville, seniors can have everything they want and more in one location. Don’t spend your days worrying about housekeeping, maintenance and laundry. Let us take care of that for you. With first-class health care and a lifestyle free from worries, you can experience a retirement lifestyle that’s all about choice and convenience.
For more information about the retirement lifestyle at Canterbury Woods Williamsville, or to learn more about how we can create the retirement lifestyle you’ve always dreamed of, contact us today. We’d be happy to help you live the life you desire – exactly the way you choose.
Find Your Fulfillment
Canterbury Woods Williamsville is a Continuing Care Retirement Community like you’ve never seen. Canterbury Woods Williamsville is not only close the perfect location for rest and relaxation, thanks to 62 tranquil acres, but there’s also easy access to Buffalo’s urban location. Offering the highest quality lifestyle and security, you’ll be part of a welcoming community consisting of both friends and neighbors while experiencing gracious living, first-class health care and the freedom to create the lifestyle you desire.
Continuum of Care
As a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC), Canterbury Woods Communities provide a comfortable environment and first-rate services to support every level of need. Assisted living apartments allow Williamsville residents to benefit from additional support while maintaining their independent lifestyle. If skilled nursing, rehabilitation or memory care is ever needed, residents can experience the support they require. They can also enjoy all this and more at our sister community in Buffalo.
Contact us today to discover more about Canterbury Woods Williamsville! (716) 427-6928.
Canterbury Woods | 705 Renaissance Drive | Williamsville, NY | 14221 | Main: (716) 929-5800 | Marketing: (716) 929-5817
Person-Centered Care, Assisted Living, and CCRC | ©2019 Episcopal Church Home & Affiliates, Inc.